Saturday, February 6, 2010

In Memory of Bart

Some gigs fly by and don't leave much impression. Others are incredibly rewarding and I will look back on them from time to time. But I don't think I will ever forget playing at Bart's Memorial last week. Bart was a 26 year old llama tasked with guarding the goats at theHarley Farm's Goat Ranch in Pescadero. Bart had died peacefully in his sleep and was found by a worker on the farm.

My wife and I only met Bart one time... A few years back we were hanging with goats and Bart stuck his face (his face, albeit sweet, looked sort of like Austin Powers) right next to mine. We were later told by Harley Farm's owner Dee Harley that "Bart doesn't like to have you in his personal space, but he loves to be in yours".


The memorial was attended by 50-75 people, with many small kids who knew Bart in attendance. It was festive, but somber. Bart had a personality that most Llamas don't possess and loved the baby goats. It was definitely a sad loss.



But Bart's departure brought home for many of us some things we don't often think about. Such as how valuable life is and that the "circle of life" is always in play (especially on a farm). My hands were trembling as I played "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" during Bart's slide-show. As we left, my wife and I both felt that Bart had restored in us those basics that we forget sometimes. We're glad to be alive, glad to live in such a beautiful place and we feel blessed to have such an incredible array of friends and family....Everything else is just noise. :) Thanks, Bart.

Cheers,
Mike

No comments: